Cilic pulls out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID
Former finalist Marin Cilic has pulled out of Wimbledon after testing positive for COVID-19, the Croatian said on Monday.
The 33-year-old Cilic, who won the U.S. Open in 2014, reached the final of the grasscourt Grand Slam five years ago when he lost to Roger Federer.
“Hey guys, I am sad to share that I tested positive for COVID,” he said on his Instagram account, adding that he was “heartbroken” to see his season on grass end due to illness.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Marin Čilić (@marincilic)
“I have been self-isolating and was hopeful I would be ready but unfortunately I am still feeling unwell and unable to compete at my best.”
Cilic, who had been seeded 14th, came to Wimbledon in strong form, having reached the semi-finals at the French Open and also making the last four of the ATP 500 tournament on grass at Queen’s this month.Also ReadWatch: Jannik Sinner wins a 46-shot rally against Tommy PaulNovak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz set to meet again in group stage of Dav...Does Steffi Graf ever age? Husband Andre Agassi has the perfect reply'Never been friends, never been close to Roger Federer': Novak Djokovic s...
He would be replaced by lucky loser Nuno Borges of Portugal in the men’s singles draw, Wimbledon organisers said.